Sunday, February 12, 2012

CCI 18.0: 87389: Choose Just 1 HIV Test Code or Face Denials

Update bundles meant for cytology, special stains.

Just as you're beginning to use CPT® 2012 changes in your laboratory, the latest edition of Medicare's Correct Coding Initiative (CCI) limits how you can use some of those CPT codes.

Remember: You cannot just go ahead and add a modifier (such as 59, Distinct procedural service) any time you wish to separate a code bundle, you'd have to validate it with the physician's documentation that denotes the distinct nature of the service, like a separate site or session.

87389 Stands Alone

With ample of HIV lab tests available, only one CPT code explains a single-result test for antigens and antibodies. That code was added in CPT 2012: 87389 (HIV-1 antigen(s), with HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibodies, single result).

Source URL :-

On the other hand, other HIV CPT codes describe a test for one or the other -- HIV antibodies or HIV antigens. Other HIV-1 and HIV-2 antigen and antibody test CPT codes are as follows:

Antibody tests:


  • 86701 – (Antibody; HIV-1)



  • 86702 – ( HIV-2)



  • 86703 – ( HIV-1 and HIV-2 single result)


  • Antigen tests:


  • 87390 – (Infectious agent antigen detection by enzyme immunoassay technique, qualitative or semiquantitative, multiple-step method; HIV-1)



  • 87391 – ( HIV-2)




  • 87534 – (Infectious agent detection by nucleic acid (DNA or RNA); HIV-1, direct probe technique)



  • 87535 – ( HIV-1, amplified probe technique)



  • 87536 – ( HIV-1, quantification)



  • 87357 – ( HIV-2, direct probe technique)



  • 87358 – (HIV-2, amplified probe technique)



  • 87359 – ( HIV-2, quantification)


  • CMS bundles some of these tests with CPT code 87389 in the latest CCI update. Specially, new edit pairs restrict billing 87389 with the combined HIV-1/HIV-2 antibody test (86703) and HIV-1 antigen tests 87535, 87536 and 87390. The "0" modifier indicator for most of these code bundles means that you should not override the edit pair under any circumstance.

    Here's why: Because 87389 indicates both the HIV-1 antigen status and the HIV-1/HIV-2 antibody status of the patient, additionally reporting individual tests for the same indicators would be inappropriate.

    More: CCI Edit 18.0 also bundles CPT code 87389 with some services that might be part of the prep steps for that assay: 87147 (Culture, typing; immunologic method, other than immunofluoresence [e.g., agglutination grouping], per antiserum) and 87253 (Virus isolation; tissue culture, additional studies or definitive identification [e.g., hemabsorption, neutralization, immunofluoresence stain], each isolate). These bundles include a modifier indicator of "1," implying that you can override the edit pair, when suitable.

    In case the virus isolation or culture typing is not part of 87389, however you carry it out for a different test on the similar day as the combined HIV test, you can then use modifier 59 to override the edit pair.

    1 comment:

    1. I find something in herbal medicine good to share on here with anyone suffering from the disease such as HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis or Chronic Lyme Disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
      Dementia.
      Lupus as well.Dr Itua herbal made cure my HIV and gave me hope that he can cure all types of diseases I believed him) I do the best of myself that I can do, I went for a program in west Africa about fashion on another side I was HIV positive. I walk through a nearby village for our program schedule then I found a signage notice that says Dr Itua Herbal Center then I asked my colleagues what all about this very man called Dr Itua, She told me that he's a herbal doctor and he can cure all kind of disease i walked to him and explain myself to him as I'm a strangler out there he prepared me herbal medicine and told me how to drink it for two weeks, when I get to my hotel room I take a look at it then says a prayer before I drank it not knowing after two weeks I went to test and I found out I was negative I ran to him to pay him more but he refuses and says I should share his works for me around the globe so sick people can see as well. I'm writing a lot about him this season so that is how I was cured by drinking Dr Itua herbal medicine, He's A caring man with godly heart. Well - everything I decided all go through for me well and how you're going to treat this new aspect to your life. You don't have to suffer alone, and it's okay to ask for help. It also doesn't have to be a constant demon, as you'll get to know your body and yourself in a much deeper way than most people. Take advantage of this, as it will help you appreciate Africa Herbal Made.
      Dr Itua Contact Information.
      Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.comWhatsapp Number....+2348149277967

      ReplyDelete